Introduction to Architecture
Architecture is defined as the art and science of designing structures and buildings. Architecture is the process of planning, designing and constructing buildings and structures. As per French architect Le Corbuiser "Architecture is the masterly, correct, and magnificent play of forms under the light." In simpler terms, Architecture is the activity of designing any kind of system.
The aim of architecture is to design a structure that gives comfort to the users. A good architect apart from designing buildings will create an environment that will meet needs and desires of users.
Objectives of Architecture
Architecture helps to develop skills that enable to design thinking, creativity and development. An architect aims to design buildings that will be best suited for humans to live, work and play. He ensures to design something that make them feel comfortable and being cared.
There are different courses that students can pursue in architecture.
- Diploma in Design - Undergraduate
- Bachelor of Arts in Architecture
- Bachelor of Design in Architecture (digital Architecture/urbdesplan)
- Master of Architecture
- Graduate Diploma in Architecture
- Graduate Diploma in Design and Technology (landscape Architecture)
Skills Required in Architecture
The role of an architect requires skills and personal qualities such as
- Creative and imaginative thinking
- Ability to analyze and assess problems
- Ability to give attention to smallest details and see bigger picture
- Ability to effectively communicate
- Understanding history, cultural and environmental concerns
Outcomes of Learning Architecture
Learning outcomes of Architecture includes following
- Technical and practical aspects of buildings elements, material, construction, structure and services
- The relationship between the two-dimensional and three-dimensional design
- Drawing as a means of discovery and exploration
- Analog and introductory digital representation
- Interpersonal skills to resolve complex issues related to building construction
- Lateral thinking to resolve complex problems
- Ability to administer a building contract fairly
- Skills to manage a complex building project
- Conceptual clarity and expression
- The basics of architectural composition
Roles of an Architect
Architects are trained to design buildings and environment. They implement combined creative and practical knowledge to provide solution for built and natural environment. The project of an architect involves below roles
Starting the Project – An architect deals with the client regarding his requirements and budget of the project and thus this information further forms design brief. Design Phase – Based on design briefs, architect develops ideas through rough sketches plans and models and analyses the building site and orientation. Design development, documentation and building approvals – The architect then develops the technical details of the project. He prepared detailed drawing and specification to obtain approval for building construction from local authority. Construction – Architect then work with the project members and builders to ensure that building construction is as per the design specifications. After Construction –This phase involves follow up of any relevant issues with client and the builder.
Career Opportunities in Architecture
There are many opportunities in architecture practices. Many graduates take up jobs in private and government sectors.
- asset management
- construction law
- construction management
- disaster relief
- furniture design
- industrial design
- interior design
- project management
- property development
- theatre design
- urban design
- urban planning
Architecture Services we can help you with!
With best Architecture experts we ensure that we cover almost everything for you.